Re: Mail-order Char-Un brides

From: donald_at_...
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 20:01:06 GMT

In message <c65iaq+8of3_at_...> "Stewart Stansfield" writes:

>For something related but completely different (?!)... if you're
>looking at weddings, and mail-order Char-Un brides, you could try
>investigating the criminal underworld of Whitewall...
>
>http://www.eparsnip.f2s.com/phpwiki/index.php?Whitewall%20criminal%
>20underworld
>
>Holds a few suggestions for possible fun.

Love the character, but I'm not sure how he fits into Orlanthi society. Organised crime is a consequence of a society's moral values being out of step with criminal law. Since the Orlanthi have no concept of criminal law it follows that his dubious activities wouldn't be illegal and in consequence won't generate the premium price need to make him a Mr Big.

Similarly it's unlikely anyone he rips off will bother going to law. He has no family to support him so his victim will just get a bunch of mates together and beat compensation out of him. If he complains to Broyan he'll need a lot of well connected friends to get anywhere with the legal action.

Move him into the Lunar Camp with army regulations making all sorts of things illegal and conflicting moral values, and he'll make a fortune as long as he bribes the right people.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/