Re: Whitewall in Sartar?

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_...>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 18:23:45 +0200 (CEST)

Jane Williams
>> unless Whitewall has more of a
>> Sartarite feel, even though it isn't in Sartar (or is it, I forget).

> It isn't. Absolutely not. And the whole lack of leadership contest
> between Broyan and Kallyr depends on that fact!

When Whitewall received Tarkalor's help, Tarkalor was yet a free-lancing adventurous youth of the royal house rather than prince or king. CHDP, Making Gods and "Another Argrath" aren't precise in dating these exploits, but point to the end of Saronil's reign or Jarolar's reign.

Later, Tarkalor (in his office both as Prince of Sartar and King of Dragon Pass) extended the Sartarite Highway all the way to Whitewall, built an accessible bridge and gatehouse and the airy ridge climb up to Sestarto's Leap. Apart from these outworks, I doubt he added much if anything to Sestarto's design.

Steve Martin and John Castellucci told me about the Argan Argar statue and market in Greg's Tarkalor-era game. Obviously a holdover from the Kingdom of Night, and quite likely an official place where the troll insect caravans trade with humans on a regular basis. Given the nature of their beasts of burden, I think the trolls managed to lead their caravans up the Tor even before Tarkalor eased entry considerably.

In the past, it has been speculated that the minor tribes of Whitewall (Bacofi, Sylangi, Curtali) switched sides between Sartar and Heortland as a matter of convenience. If anything, this might have created a lesser tax haven while this scheme worked, but with a powerful Volsaxi king in the keep and Lunar presence in Sartar, I doubt this scheme has been used recently. It won't have worked under Kitori domination, either.

Which reminds me that it might be informative to have an idea of the extent of Kitori domination around the Crossline, and how and why the Kultain managed to wedge themselves between the Kitori agricultural lands and their sacred forest sites in the foothills.