Re: The Actor Game

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 15:31:05 +0100 (BST)

> Rather than wrestling with grammatical abilities for

> character descriptions, what about a single snapshot
> of a fairly
> unique actor in a performance--a basis for
> description based on
> looks, voice, gravitas, key role, pig-ugliness,
> vapid beauty or
> whatever? e.g. Harry H. Corbett and Wilfrid Brambell
> (for the Brits).

Only works if you mention the role, I think, unless we're all film buffs or don't mind spending a lot of time on Google.
Having just Googled, I now know that you're talking about Steptoe & Son. OK. Where do you see them fitting in? Not as Major Heroes, I hope, but in the colourful low-life end of the spectrum, yes.

> PETER LORRE (in just about anything)

A quick Google later, I'm unimpressed. Did lots of parts, I think I've seen at least some of them, and he'd made no impression on long-term memory at all.

> (N.B. I resisted saying Dick van Dyke.
Carry on resisting...

> Though I still think Terry-Thomas should be Tatius)
I still think I'd like to keep Tatius serious, but Terry-Thomas as a lower-level Lunar of some sort, fine.

Can we get Sean Connery in here somewhere? As an Orlanthi priest, perhaps? He's geting a bit old for an active role, but I want his voice... :)

Jane Williams