Re: Re: Steers

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_...>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 20:36:20 +0200 (CEST)

Roderick and Ellen Robertson
>> Sam confuses me:
>> > HeroCult Marak Steer
>> > . . .
>> > . . . the Bullmen were so impressed by the
>> > size of his warband that they followed Marak
>> > and called him Steer.

>> Um . . . a steer is a castrated male, usually raised
>> for eating and sluaghtered around 4 years of age. So, >> maybe you meant "stud"?

> Before anyone starts accusing the author of the Urox writeup (that would
> be me) of a complete and utter cock-up in writing "styrman" (Steer-man) for
> the
> devotees of Urox, I'd like to point out in my defense that I used the
> Anglo-Saxon word "Styrman" which means "To storm, rage, roar, cry out,
> shout". And the pronunciation is "Sturman" (even shading into "Storman"),
> not "Steerman". Steer-man was just a happy coincedence :-).

Don't you worry. In German, "Bulle" has the connotation of going to be slaughtered (but is used for studs, too, depending on the region) whereas "Stier" usually is used for studs only. I suppose the Anglo-Saxon usage could well be like modern German.

Funnily, I read "Styrman" with my Norse spectacles, and got Steering Man, or helmsman, he who directs the herd (or in this case the stampede).

Ain't linguistics wonderful?