Re: Re: Steers

From: donald_at_...
Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 02:36:54 GMT

In message <002101c445c2$8356eae0$5b6a7640_at_oemcomputer> "Roderick and Ellen Robertson" writes:

>Well, it is a perfectly good Anglo-Saxon word, rather than a pure
>Americanism. It's probably used in some regional accent of English, and was
>transported over here to become the accepted word for "young ox". My guess
>it that it is used one side or the other of the Danegeld - but I'm not sure
>which.

The dictionary I've got describes a steer as an ox or bullock under four years old so that distinction appears in English as well. Both are described as from old english - oxa and steor. The obvious reason for two words is that they were regarded differently e.g. steer were primarily meat animals whereas oxen were draught. There are lots of words in english with slightly different meanings which are of importance only to those in the trade.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/