Re: Re: After the BatBlat

From: Denethor Hurin <sinherit_at_...>
Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 04:18:13 -0700 (PDT)

     Hmmm!

     The ones supporting the Lunars before might not be that unreliable given that Orlanth is now manifested. It's one thing to fight "that pesty clan down the road who we never liked anyway" on the side of a big army but it's quite another to be fighting the head of your pantheon made manifest backed by that pesty clan especially if the cards are suddenly on the table and Tatius is no longer hiding his intention to kill your deity. Aside from all other considerations that would certainly seem to be the sort of thing that give your clan a closer acquantance with the way "Divine Wrath" works than they'd like to have (I doubt Illumination would get anyone off the hook in *this* case since Orlanth can now see and hear directly in the material world!).

      I suspect that the Red Earth babes might be having a "Oh Dear!" moment or 2 as well at this point because if *my* spouse's life were on the line and any of *my* worshippers were on The Other Side I'd probably be sending the divine equivalant of a Subtle Hint (Maybe in the form of a mallet across the back of the head or a 10 ton anvil?) to them that "You're going to stop working against my husband *right this minute*, RIGHT?"

If you were a Red Earth type would you say anything to that beyond "Yes, Ma'am!"? (Same with Vinga and Yinkin and any other Heortling deity who genuninely cares for Orlanth for that matter but I don't recall that any of them has as large a contingent at Whitewall as Ernalda does).Fear aside, there'd probably be a bit of remorse in knowing that you'd just screwed up with the deity you'd devoted your life to. Enough remorse to put them into pennance mode.

    So these people now have to make nice with former enemies who have just proven themselves to be in the right and have no reason to trust them. Apart from any remorse they might feel (How would *you* feel about learning that you really were on the wrong side?) they've got a *lot* to prove in the presence of Orlanth Himself and they know it. Perversely enough I suspect that in that circumstance they'd be as reliable as reliable can be and the chief trouble with them would be trying to keep them from doing anything too stupid in their newfound fervor that would get everybody in trouble. Yeah, there'll doubtless be some backsliding after Orlanth's gone but by that time the siege will be too far in the past for that to matter. If I'm right the unreliability would probably come from other elements such as "former neutrals" or maybe from the "now too smug" original defenders.

Do you Yahoo!?
Friends. Fun. Try the all-new Yahoo! Messenger. http://messenger.yahoo.com/