Stonewall Phalanxes

From: Stewart Stansfield <stu_stansfield_at_...>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 06:44:33 +0100

Sorry, this is rather random, but while we're talking about Stonewall Phalanxes it's vaguely on-topic and I thought I'd fire it off...

In my Glorantha...

..there is a secret society-come-mystery cult of Dara Happan army officers and nobles that decries the destruction of the lost Stonewall regiments, and looks to the time when all ten will march again, treading the rich soil of the banks of the Oslir under the bright golden light of Yelm, a light unblemished by the iniquitous glow of the Red Moon.

In many ways, it is a military microcosm of the conservative Solar vs. Lunar conflict, and has further grown to epitomise such. The destruction of the
'Lost Phalanxes'--and the manner and reason of such--symbolises all that has
gone wrong in the Empire; conversely, this group feels that the restoration of such which will naturally herald a return to the tenfold Yelmic perfection of the 'Golden Time'.

Whether or not it is actually possible to succeed in its goals--if the 'Lost Phalanxes' truly are "eliminated forever, beyond resurrection"--is a different matter.

'The Dekadarchs' are pure-blood descendents of the officers and men of the
'Lost Phalanxes' and the remaining formations, that once won glory in the
rightful service of the Emperor, loyal to the example, wisdom and memory of Khordavu. Since their destruction, many bloodlines of the 'Lost Phalanxes' have lost power and influence, and dearly seek restitution. Secret signet rings are marked with the magical rock that gave the Phalanxes their name, and perhaps retain some of their power (or provide a characterful affectation!).

Rumours of cult members existing within the higher echelons of the Ordenviru are of course unfounded...

These men are great enemies and rivals of the Daxdarian corps that is the Slate Legion, the Dipylons of Utheneos, which lay claim to the rightful title and correspondences of the Slate Phalanx that was destroyed by the Carmanians. Similarly the hot-headed scions of the Basalt Phalanx hold a great hatred of the Lavic Legion. Staunchly Solar and anti-Lunar, they worship the eternally glorious memory of Khordavu, Warlike Son of the Sun, but curse the name of _____ the Foolish, who by disbanding the Basalt Phalanx started the rot**.

Some are officers in the remaining Phalanxes--strongest in the Jasper and Beryl Phalanxes, yet even the more Lunarized Granite and Marble Phalanxes have some adherents (I refer to Martin's spreadsheet on the army)--while others are simply nobles who would not demean their ancestors by service to a regiment other than that in which their line is destined to serve again.

Many regimental gods and standards thought lost are retained in secret, guarded by loyal retainers of the bloodlines. Others are sought and strengthened by brave individuals on mundane and heroquests. Incense-filled cellars in Dara Happan nobles' houses are temples to the Ten Stonewall Gods, such as Skargevesh the Minor, Rokhornovos the Bright, Darvesh the Unyielding and Borgeus of the Vinnebari. Their likenesses stand in alcoves and niches, while others are currently empty, ready for the myths and legends to be found again, preparing the way.

[This started as more modest in-game campaign to restore the Basalt Phalanx (which would naturally be my favourite) to the Imperial Battalia, but on further thought, it got enlarged]

Stu.

**Most of this was purely mental and last pondered on a while ago, and sadly subject to hazy recollection! Minus a trawl through GRoY and FS, I can't really remember if I specified the details of this. Roderick says it happened in the reign of Anirinelm, while a post from Terra on the Glorantha Digest (I'm not sure of the source) says Erzanestyu. Notably that post calls them 'traitors' which might present parallels to the Enestool family (although they were destroyed in Anirinelm's reign). The Imperial Army essay on Glorantha.com says that the Basalts were "disbanded by an ill-advised emperor", which immediately makes me see the hand of Ordanestyu in all this. Not only does such an action follow some of his predilections for defence on the cheap, but he himself was an enemy of the Enestool, and benefited from their destruction, if one suggests that 'traitorous' link.