Re: Re: The Watchful House of Saint Gaspodi

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 19:29:46 +0100

On Fri, Jul 16, 2004 at 05:32:58PM -0000, Oliver D. Bernuetz wrote:
> That's not a bad suggestion and I think they do get some recruits
> from Heorlting society but I think the bulk of their new recruits are
> from Esvulari society. People who've seen the light as it were and
> have abandoned their near heathen ways for the proper path of
> Malkioni.

[and later:]
> Probably not but a group of 50 or so is hardly adding that many new
> members. Sure almost no Heorltings would join but there's always a
> few who just have to do something really different.

I hate to be "boring", but I'm really hard-pressed to decide which of these models I find the more uncongruent and jarring. :( The Esvulari are concentrated in "Heortland proper": what would be their motivation to travel to "traditionalist Volsaxiland" (the ultra- is being held in escrow) in order to be "more Malkioni"? Unless there's some strong incentive to do otherwise (economic, social pressure when the 'established order' changes, as is the case later on), sticking with what they _already know_ to be the true religion is going to be far and away the most attractive options, with a long list of more likely other defaults in terms of what's more consisent with the local cultural and otherworldly landscapes.

Heortlings joining seems to me to be both socially unlikely, and magically difficult (if you take the HQ rules half as seriously as they seem to take themselves on such matters, at least).

OTOH, ascribing it to the Army of Tomorrow seems both well-motivated, and actually makes story sense of its disjunct from locally dominant religious practice, as opposed to having to 'explain it away'.

Cheers,
Alex.