Re: Re: The Watchful House of Saint Gaspodi

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 01:04:17 +0100

On Fri, Jul 16, 2004 at 07:23:16PM -0000, Oliver D. Bernuetz wrote:
> I agree that it's hardly likely to be what many people do but what
> cause anyone to leave their traditional faith behind? Somehow it's
> not doing for them what they need spiritually. What make Christians
> become Jews and vice versa?

Prior to the modern era, not much: short of rather extreme measures. And the example doesn't even seem that comparable. We're talking about leaving one, somewhat-of-a-minority religion in a religion that's somewhat accepting of them, to join an extreme minority cult in a region that's considerably less tolerant of their original religion, and distinctly intolerant of their new one. Wanting to leave Aeolianism is one thing, buty why would they specifically want to do _this_? (Even if you have a specific motivation to want to 'go monotheistically liturgical', there seem more likely options only somewhat further afield. AFAIK there aren't significant number of them in Volsaxar, so they'd be having to come a fair distance anyhoo.)

> And how do we explain Madonna?

Why would we want to...? And does a "printable answers only" constraint remain in play?

> Nevermind. IF the Watchful House exists it has to be pretty tiny.

LoT surely implies that it exists, and that it's big enough to be worth mentioning. Surely then, either it's a recent development entirely (which we seem to agree is the more plausible, and have a different aesthetic judgement on the desirability of), or it's been "big enough to be worth mentioning" for some time (whether or not 1000 years), or lastly perhaps, it's a post-new-dispensation revival or enlargement of some earlier yoke, which might perhaps make it a tad easier to rationalise while still being "interesting".

> Again, I'd hardly think it'd be a common choice and I personally
> don't think they'd be the main source of any converts.

Then they're largely what? Esvulari converts? (See my earlier comments.) A self-sustaining mini-colony of Westerners? Westerners maintained by pilgrimage/posting from [somewhere strictly malkioni]?

Cheers,
Alex.