RE: Orlanthi gates

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 18:00:57 +0100

> I read recently that the gates at Runegate are covered in Runes (as
> well as the very large Luck rune into which they are set).
>
> I wonder whether anyone has thought about the gates at Whitewall;
> also what runes one might expect to find engraved on a (presumably)
> magically reinforced gate?
>
> Simon

Nice timing. I was just starting to struggle with a story that includes as background Tarkalor's Gate changing hands again, and needing the enchantments replacing/re-enforcing shortly afterwards.

I'd guess that the gates into the original city are done by one method (involving Helamakt, as other posters have suggested), and that Tarkalor's Gate is different.

We had the wooden bits of Tarkalor's gate being burnt, but I'm unsure how much would be wooden anyway. Big stone gateway, heavy oak gates bound in metal? Where would the runes and enchantments be - on the wood, the metal, the stone...?

I'd expect the purpose of enchantments on either lot of gates to include:

Anyone else? And how would you go about any of the above? If you're a Lunar, how would you destroy or bypass the enchantments?