Re: Orlanthi gates

From: Oliver D. Bernuetz <bernuetz_at_...>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 21:46:56 -0000

Yeah I think standard wooden gates work better for Tarkalor's Gate. Fits in with generally inferior nature of modern construction theme:-)

> > Maybe the standard Earth
> > lintel around the opening (two massive rough hewn pillars with a
> > cross-piece) and behind it either huge stone doors or a giant
stone
> > wheel that can be rolled out of the way probably by one or more
> > elementals? Makes the gate pretty much impossible to repair, at
> > least up to the original standard.
>
> Sounds great!
>
> > Or do we prefer something more "modern" to relect the more recent
> > creation of the gate?
>
> I think we do need Tarkalor's to be different from the rest. Would
your
> very Earth-related gates be suitable for the original Wall?

It looks from the sketch that the entrance into the original citadel is an opening in the Tor itself leading to a tunnel that goes up and under the walls rather than through them. A stone gate certainly suggests itself there though. Another example of Sestarto's overkill I imagine.

Does Tarkalor have some sort of symbol? That'd be a nice addition. I keep getting mental images of the Ishtae gate for some reason but maybe that's too weird for the locale.

http://arthist.cla.umn.edu/aict/images/ancient/aneast/512/79.jpg

Perhaps Tarkalor tried to get as much elemental protection for the gate as possible but screwed up somehow?

Oliver