Re: Corps and armies

From: donald_at_...
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 20:47:19 GMT

>Donald comments:
>>I can see the necessity of corps commanders on campaign - a general
>>doesn't have time to command all regiments individually.
>
>He would command them as a block and yes individually if need be. The
>organisation is flat, Regiment - Army. No divisions or brigades. There
>are vexilla of several regiments and these are commanded by Fereshori.

I don't believe there's ever been an organisation where one person directly supervised or commanded 20, 30 or more groups without someone acting in an intermediate role. They may appear to on the basis of the organisation chart or due to the absense of historical records but in practice it doesn't work even at a low level. If the title of those intermediates is Fereshori, fine although that means Jorkandros should be described as Fereshori rather than Warlord since Fazzur is the Warlord.

This structure also has a significant weakness - there is no one to take charge if the Warlord is incapacitated.

>>It makes more sense to me that regiments are adminstered locally by the
>>city they're raised in
>
>Oh no, definately not! Think Jannisor rebellion. You have to look at
>the Imperial army structure as being a direct result of those traumatic
>events. The Red Emperor has built an army that might not necessarily
>work the best, but it certainly does what he wants - obey with little
>risk of rebellion or at least rebellion that would encapsulate a large
>part of the army, as it did in the Jannisor era.

OK, reasonable excuse for a very inefficent structure.

>Modern lunar military practice is to recruit Empire wide and assign me
>to the unit from accross the Empire, however some units are still
>recruited locally. It depends on their origins.

I've seen this statement several times but I've never seen an example of a unit recruited Empire wide - the nearest I've seen is the description 'Lunarised' applied to some units in Tarsh in Flames.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/