Re: Legates et al.

From: Stewart Stansfield <stu_stansfield_at_...>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2004 09:32:16 -0000

Donald:
> The problem is that only YT cultists have the magic required to
> effectively command troops from more then one tradition. That,
> after all, is why the vexillae and fereshori exist.

I'd personally change "required to effectively command" to "promotes efficacious command of" IMG. A little more subjective, as 'required' and 'effectively' can be read in an exclusive way. Imperial armies have fielded composite battalia in the past, whether of Murharzarm's time or Khordavu's, often to great success. I'd certainly agree that the Yanafali can probably do it better, heck, that's largely part of my pro-vexilla warblings that have previously blighted the list.

> ranking officers will also need this magic unless they are in the
> position of only commanding troops from their own tradition.

If we take this supposition we must, effectively, take the same line with Warlords -- especially given that it has been suggested that command is often immediate. Now are all Warlords or their deputies Yanafali, as we currently view the Lunar army? Again we come back to the strength of Lunar influence and the Yanafal cult in the army: veneer, partial or complete? YGMV...

> Yes, it does reflect the Roman Republic model, but in that model
> every freeman had to serve in the legions so would have gained
> relevant experience in the army before being given a political
> command.

Please be aware that I don't seek to push a Roman model like that. I only use it as a ready analogy in certain aspects, and the above ain't one of 'em. I can see this rapidly being stretched away from the point I'm trying to make: a flexible method for the delegation of command by senior officers, political and military; a method that might be mimicked by several avenues of the Lunar administration.

By 'conflation of political and military spheres' I'm talking with a view to method, mechanisms and incorporation in Lunar practice, not overall effect. Rather, getting rid of a purely military rank-list at this level. There might be largely military legates and fiscal legates, distinct in their responsibilities, but united by a common concept and method. Not a way to place military ingenues in positions of military power.

Cheerio,

Stu.