Lego Lego

From: Stewart Stansfield <stu_stansfield_at_...>
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2004 20:18:40 -0000

Salvete Sodales,

Paul:
> The Lunar Empire should have, as general terms for VIPs, Legates
AND Counts
> AND Emperor's Friends; and at least one Legate should be empowered
> command all Counts, and conversely. The use of Chaos as an
administrative
> technique...

Excellent! That'll make said officers keep their Sedenyite "Embrace Contradictions" skill suitably high. I think this should be merged with the suggestion that Lunar armies are commanded by two generals, one symbolising the bright red face of the moon, the other the dark shadow. They exercise relative amounts of command responsibility accoording to the phase of the Moon on a given day. Perfectly workable!

Seriously, I had been long pondering the manner in which the phases of the Moon can be applied to Lunar tactical geometries. After all, what is a battle but an attempt to replicate myth in military reality? I remember that it was based (naturally) on the convexconcave  transition suggested by Cannae, and was hideously complex, with troops serving to mimic the motions of the Red Moon, ultimately leading to military Inclusion of the enemy. Unfortunately, in true Palmerston and Schleswig-Holstein fashion, I seem to have forgotten it. I shall have to get the sketch pad out again...

LEGO LEGO Just as a refresher, the original concept for Lunar 'legates' was as a means to an end, rather than an end in of itself. A method the Lunars (not just the army) might employ to devolve power and deputise lackeys in a variety of political and military spheres.

In the purely military sense, it was born out of an attempt to reconcile the differing views on the command of the Lunar Army, and some queries people had with the superstructure (or lack of it) as described in ILH-1.

'Legate' was thus suggested as a general term for a deputy empowered by his master, a proxy in some field. Now, depending on their powers and realm of responsibilty, they might well have some more functional title -- perhaps one that is far more commonly used. Especially in the army.

Beyond that, I really don't wish to say much more, as I was aiming for total flexibility and cirumstance-driven colour. Something that didn't contradict ILH-1, and the general philosophies therein, but might feasibly suggest a mechanism wherein a potentate could generate a staff of deputies, specific to the circumstance and YG.

As Nick said best, something that "allows multiple G's which all V", but possesses some acceptable and reasonable Lunar mechanism behind it. Now people may completely disagree with the above, wish to modify it etc., which is grand! But when I'm personally thinking of names, I'm thinking of generalisms, not specific to the military, for use within the above context. Just so's there's no confusion! :)

All the best,

Stu.