Re: Possible use of Greek Titles within the Lunar Army

From: Stewart Stansfield <stu_stansfield_at_...>
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2004 23:32:25 -0000

Roderick:
> Don't forget that...

Even so, Rory, with a tetrarch commanding 80 men (out of a force of 800), and composed of files of 8 men, I'm still a bit flummoxed as to where the tetra- might have come from...

Aha! Got it. Perhaps. Entekosiad, p. 40:

"...Daxdarius... marched with 1,000 men under his command. He divided his army into four equal parts, and trained them to stand in squares, and to form a great hollow square. He kept his own men in the centre."

Now, is this immediately reconcilable with regiments of 800 and companies of 80 commanded by tetrarchs? No, but at least there is a precedent for 4ish fetishes.

Be it an old holdover from the splitting of he army into four (albeit groups of 250 men as opposed to 80); or speculation that the 250- strong groups also split into four, especially if they formed hollow squares themselves on occasion (wow, touches of Bugeaud), each of around 60ish men, which ain't too far away.

Yes, yes, I know. You all may think this is interminably boring, but this point really perplexed me, and trust me, I'm damned proud I found that. ;)

Right, which one's next?

Good night,

Stu.