RE: Orlanthi gates

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_...>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 06:38:16 +0200 (CEST)

Jane Williams
>> > Although Tarkalor was doing things at Whitewall long >> > before he became KoDP, wasn't he?
>> Tarkalor was fighting a lot in the region long before he
>> became KoDP, but I doubt he already built roads back then.
>> That's a princely prerogative in Sartar.

> Whitewall, however, is not in Sartar. Which, come to think of it,
> probably means that he wasn't using Sartarite magic for any of this,
> whenever it occurred.

I disagree. The Sartarite princes were well able to use their magic outside of Sartar, and the roadbuilding was a princely pastime.

IMO the timeline goes something like this:

1550ish Tarkalor fights the Kitori and helps the king of Whitewall get rid of their presence (even there).

1569 Tarkalor becomes prince after Jarosar's demise. Start of his road building and fortification projects, probably at Wilmskirk.

1575 Tarkalor becomes King of Dragon Pass. Getting trade to Whitewall possibly qualifies as one of the preliminary tests.

1582 Battle of Grizley Peak. Tarkalor dies.