Re: Lego Lego

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 02:25:31 +0100

On Tue, Aug 03, 2004 at 09:46:08AM +0200, Joerg Baumgartner wrote:
> Indeed. Basically this is the reason why Cannae came about - I forgot the
> name of the idiot colleague of Fabius Cunctator whose policy to lead
> Hannibal's superior force patiently through a series of retreats and minor
> skirmishes until there would be a good opportunity was blasted to pieces
> when that idiot offered battle. Imagine serving there...

Superior force? I thought traditional estimates were that the Carthaginians were outnumbered about 2:1. Unless we're talking Bs vs. Cs... (A little wargaming humour, there.)

(When yon BBC programme whose name I forget 'did' Cannae, the police team playing Hannibal&co. looked distinctly worried when that many legionaries came bearing down on their 'officers' -- and with good reason, as it turned out.)