RE: Re: Mile-throw javelins and acquiring feats

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 17:19:34 +0100

> > So - just curious here - who's left in the "party" that
> thinks a mile
> > is a mile is a mile and uses Vingans as surveying equipment
> but not as
> > artillery?
>
> That was a Greg Stafford decision (kind of like a Custer
> Decision in Little Big Man). Greg makes decisions while
> upset, and then sticks to them stubbornly even after he cools
> down. But I'm not sure at this point in time that even Greg
> would stick to that rule...
>
> RR

Trying to be fair here, I did look up the myth that presumably goes with the feat (though having it right there next to the feat would be *so* much easier...)

"She even made their same old tasks easier one day when she measured out fields for her mother and sisters by hurling her javelin exactly one mile from each marker rock."

Vingans *are* surveying equipment, it seems.

So to move on, and use this as an example, if you wanted to play out the HQ to get that feat, how would you do it? We don't see Vinga learning how to throw accurate distances. We just see her doing it. What stations do the questors have to go through, and how do they acquire the new "skill"?