Re: Re: Story Seeds/Scenario Ideas

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 12:21:14 +0100 (BST)

This theory was expressed, and argued strongly against. AFAIK, the real reason the Bat turns up is purely a Lunar decision. I couldn't tell you *which* Lunar, but it was not the fault of anyone on the Orlanthi side. They may well have done a Summons of Evil, but I personally don't believe it caused the Bat. It may have accelerated it, though...

What I was considering was pure superstitious scapegoating. People like to have someone to blame. Someone they can hit. As I say, rationality does not come into the choice.

> ... public unrest against Broyan
> himself either by
> persuasion or violence (AKA *effective* persuasion).

I'm sure people *will* blame him, whether it's his fault or not. He's in charge. But that's a separate aspect from my suggestion, and much higher-level. Still works, though.

> It might even go
> to a couple of attempts on his life ("If we kill
> *him* then the Lunars
> will know we had nothing to do with him and will
> leave us alone").

Yep. Seen his guards? Pass another assassin, this one's broken.

> The
> "There's always another way" crowd might pick this
> moment to start
> advocating various forms of surrender that the PCs
> will have to test
> their persuasion skills against.

Oh yes, surrender is a genuinely good and sensible idea. Not sure how mnay Orlanthi will consider it.

> Possible responses from the government: Broyan would
> probably give a
> justified "You knew the job was dangerous when you
> took it. If you don't want to be here then leave.

Hmm, we had riots as people *try* to leave the city. What was stopping them? The Lunars (most likely), Broyan (why?), or just that the gates aren't wide enough to cope with the rush?

Or do we have a street fight between "I'm out of here!" and "stay and fight you cowards!"?

> A softer response from Broyan to those he respects
> but wants to calm
> might be: "Yes, I know but we're preparing our own
> magics to deal with
> it. (I doubt anything as big as the 7 Winds project
> could be kept entirely under wraps anyway

Anyone with any wind magic at all will be expected to participate - ah, so that's why Broyan wants them all to stay! No secrecy at all.

> Your mention of Starbrow's Trickster (I wonder if
> Broyan might have one as well?)

Not according to his OiD stats. Though this is several years earlier, and things could have changed. (Maybe he/she dies as a result of all our lovely plots?) *Two* tricksters in one small fort. Oh dear :(

> The time to be afraid where a
> Trickster's concerned... is when he's genuinely
> being helpful, genuinely
> being coherent and comes to you with an idea

Even worse is when he has such an idea and puts it into practise *without* consultation.

> For example, take the Roganvarth Penterestsson/Rana
> Riverlocks/Ortossa Maltasdotter triangle.
<snip>

That's lovely!

> (Isn't the "Undetectable Lie" Rune Spell fun? ^_^)

I'll have to reread the Trickster write-up - does it still exist? I'd agree that it *should*.

> 1. They now have the reputation of being the sort of
> people who'll go
> along with a Trickster's ideas in normal Orlanthi
> society. This might
> reduce the number of time picnics they get invited
> to among other things...

Now bear in mind that Kallyr has the same rep. Fun, isn't it?

> Of course, an *extra* evil DM might confront them
> upfront with this
> possible side effect and present them with the moral
> question of how
> bad a hit to their reputation and their future
> careers they're willing
> to take for the sake of their community and their
> cause. ^_~

That is *lovely*!

(Yes, I'm evil, too)

Jane Williams