Re: Great Big Gates revisited

From: donald_at_...
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 22:39:07 GMT

In message <cikl8l+8f88_at_...> "Jane Williams" writes:

>I've spent the last week doing some practical research into this
>problem. Or rather, I've had a nice relaxing week on a narrowboat,
>going through Locks.
>
>The bottom gate of a canal lock is about 7 feet wide. The height
>varies, but say 14 feet high. Made of heavy wood, with steel re-
>enforcement. The whole weighs about 3 tons.
>
>Here's some pics of one being replaced - and it's one I've been
>through.
>
>http://www.derbyphotos.co.uk/special/stenslockgates.htm
>
>Yes, given the balance beam you push on, one non-muscular person
>(me) can open and close those gates. Not with one finger, more like
>with a lot of grunting and heaving, but it's entirely possible. And
>that's with the bottom 4 feet of the gate (at least) underwater.
>
>What I found particularly interesting from our POV was the
>difference the wind made to the ease of gate-shifting. A breeze I
>didn't even notice could mean the gate kept blowing closed and had
>to be held open while the boat came through, or could make it so
>hard to move I had to call for help. Very good news for the
>Orlanthi, I think!

That's going to be the result of accurate counter-balancing. If it's set to be easily moved then any extraneous force will change the dynamics significantly and a hundred square foot of gate is a lot of area for that force to operate on.

I'm not sure how common counterbalancing gates is in Glorantha, the principles were known to the ancient Greeks and I think I remember a few cases where they were put into practice but it doesn't appear to have been very common. Possibly because without accurate measurements it's quite tricky working out how heavy the counterweights should be and you still have to work against the friction of the hinges which may not be in a good state of repair. Thinking about it I would probably restrict such things to Mostali built gates - it's too scientific for most cultures. Orlanthi would probably go for a tame air spirit to open or close gates.

Then again you don't want the gates of a fortress or city to be opened easily - a windlass or two means relatively few men can open it in a reasonable time. If there are counterweights on the gates at WW they will be able to be disconnected both in case of siege or more commonly (given WW's position on top of a hill) during storms.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/