Re: Great Big Gates revisited

From: donald_at_...
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 17:31:15 GMT

In message <3119.217.226.90.215.1095664873.squirrel_at_217.226.90.215> "Joerg Baumgartner" writes:
>Donald:
>> I'm not sure how common counterbalancing gates is in Glorantha,
>> the principles were known to the ancient Greeks and I think I
>> remember a few cases where they were put into practice but it
>> doesn't appear to have been very common. Possibly because without
>> accurate measurements it's quite tricky working out how heavy
>> the counterweights should be and you still have to work against
>> the friction of the hinges which may not be in a good state of
>> repair. Thinking about it I would probably restrict such things
>> to Mostali built gates - it's too scientific for most cultures.
>> Orlanthi would probably go for a tame air spirit to open or close
>> gates.
>
>Most Orlanthi would. However, this is a case of gates built by a member of
>the Sartar dynasty. Strangely the best evidence for their use of mechanics
>comes from the KoS section where Jurstan the Sainted Librarian rediscovers
>Saronil's heisting cranes. If they used cranes for lifting cyclopean
>stones for their city walls, I suggest they were able to balance their
>gates.

Why? a simple crane can be made without any counterbalancing at all and isn't usually counterbalanced very accurately. I don't think understanding of the principles of mechanics follows from the discovery and use of a single invention.

>> Then again you don't want the gates of a fortress or city to be
>> opened easily - a windlass or two means relatively few men can
>> open it in a reasonable time. If there are counterweights on
>> the gates at WW they will be able to be disconnected both in case
>> of siege or more commonly (given WW's position on top of a hill)
>> during storms.
>
>This could be solved by making the counterweights detachable, or by
>locking them, providing extra stability.

I'm sure they are heavy wooden bars, rather than locks, to hold the gates shut but that isn't going to be enough so detachable counterweights  are a must.

>Getting a wind to do menial work
>has always been something of an issue of dispute. IMG it is accepted to
>invite a wind to push along, but it is frowned upon letting the wind do
>the work all by itself.

Yes, it's a bit of an dubious area and I suspect not altogether reliable. A very good way of ensuring the PCs keep on the right side of the winds though - if they're going to have to do a lot of hard work because the winds won't co-operate.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/