Accents (was [HeroQuest-RPG] Re: literacy)

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 07:41:43 +0100

Keith:
> If we want an analogy between dialects of English and Orlanthi
> languages, consider that Sartar is 200years old, the Pelorian side
> of the Pass was seperated from the Esrolian side about 400years ago.

> Australian english is about 200years old,
> while American English is about 400years old.
> This gives us a Temple of 'Streuth Mhyate in Jonstown,
> and the Flame of Sartar being a device for cooking river prawns. ...
> In Heortland, they speak RP english, except for those
> Volsaxi who wander around bar tat.

Jennifer:
> Why do I have the overwhelming urge to respond "Where the ducks play
> football"?

Maybe that final late-night Continuum sing-along had a profound influence on the collective Gloranthan consciousness?

> Is there a hitherto unsuspected Volsaxi vs Durulz football
> challenge waiting to be discovered somewhere in the lore?

We'll have to pass the idea over to the Whitewall list and see what happens. (Ccing). We have Volsaxi, we have Durulz, we have a lot of bored people stuck in a city with not enough to keep them amused.

I'd thought accent-placement shoud be determined by the phrase "In Oopland Marsh baht'at". But Volsaxi - Broyan, as played by Brian Blessed, but with a Yorkshire accent - you know, it works. I'm just not quite sure I want all the Sartarites speaking Strine.