Re: Re: 1619 - the first few weeks

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 15:43:30 -0700

> How much of an "intelligence service" do the various interested
> parties have? Minaryth Purple is probably one of the best-informed
> people on things in Sartar, but I don't know if he's that interested
> in things further south?
>
> Who has agents in Tatius' command structure? Where is he, anyway?

I doubt anyone on the Orlanthi side has actual "agents" in place, though there may be more of a resistance-style "Well, my cousin is the housekeeper for Tatius and she overheard..." type stuff. An Intelligence apparat seems a bit...sophisticated for the Heortlings. Now, who on the *Lunar* side has agents in place in Tatius's army? Just about everyone!

> Who even has the ability to spot armies moving around, and get word
> back before they arrive?

Now here the "home field advantage" works in the Heortling's favor - unless the Lunars are willing to exterminate everyone within miles of their paths of advance, the heortlings *will* know that there is more than just a raiding or tax-collecting force going through. "The hills have eyes" as they say, and a shepherd up on a hilltop has a long view. Not to mention the advantage of having fliers. So the "Heortling High Command" will soon get reports fo the Lunar column(s) moving south.

> Have we figured out the routes the various besieging forces would
> take to get there?

Have you decided where they come from in the first place? Is this purely a "Sartar Occupation Force" endeavour, or do we pull in units from Tarsh (or farther away yet)? There will probably be some sort of mustering point to gather the scattered "Occupation Force" units, so squads and companies will first make their way to (a) central location(s), then from there march down to Heortland. Being Lunars, they'll most likely use the existing roads, rather than going overland (as much as possible, anyway...).

So, From the North of Sartar they'll probably move down the Eastern route (Dangerford-Jonstown-Boldhome-Wilmskirk-Whitewall) and/or the Western route (Runegate-Quakford-and then one side (or both) of the Auruch hills).

From Tarsh, you can go through Dwarf Run (Too Far-Aldachur-Heron Green-Dangerford and then down the eastern route) or go through the Dragon Pass, skirt the bottom edge of the Upland Marsh, stay north of Beast Valley as much as possible (or risk pissing off IronHoof and friends), and pick up the road again at Duck Point.

If they want to pick up Sundomers, then the western side of the Auroch Hills will see some action.

RR
- Richelieu