Cosmic Compromise

From: Jeff Richard <richj_at_...>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 14:22:20 -0700

> > Killing Orlanth at WW is certainly a
> > breach of the Compromise. A really big breach.
> But since the Compromise, as I understand it, is binding on deities,
not
> on humans, no-one's going to get prosecuted for it?

I don't know Greg's current thinking on the Compromise, but in KoS it is described as follows:

"This agreement between the gods is called the Cosmic Compromise. All of the deities agreed to share the world with each other, and with all of the experiences which they had already had. No one was allowed to avoid what they did not like, and so all of the gods agreed that they would share their time among both Life and Death. They agreed to these things, and that they would not actively intervene in each other's realms except in those ways which they had already done. They would not individually or consciously alter the world. They would not even turn their awareness to it, unless called upon to do so."

So Orlanth can manifest to defeat the Crimson Bat, since he had already done so by defeating Artia. But Orlanth can't be killed without the agreement between the gods fraying. The Compromise is what ended the Gods War and kept the world from being destroyed by the Chaos Age. By killing Orlanth, the Lunars have brought back the Darkness - which is exactly what the Emperor planned.

Jeff