Re: Re: Summons of Evil

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2004 08:59:54 -0700

> adventure for the Vanagathi or Sky Bull riders. (Is it 5 or 10 enemy
> flyers a Vanganthii has to shoot down before he can call himself an
> ace? o_O).

http://www.firstworldwar.com/features/aces.htm:

"The French government was the first to award the distinction of 'ace' to those of their fighters who had demonstrably downed five enemy aircraft. Independent confirmation was a strict requirement however, which often posed a practical difficulty in crowded dogfight circumstances.

The German government quickly followed, specifying however that eight (later sixteen) 'kills' were required for a pilot to be considered an ace and eligible for the prestigious Pour le Merite award.

Britain - and later the U.S. - followed the French example, although both were more lenient in allowing 'probable' victories to count. The British Distinguished Flying Cross was available to those pilots who had scored at least eight victories."

So 5, 8 or 16...

Are your Orlanthi German, British, French or American?

Here in the states, Lunars are obviously British (or at least have British accents, just watch our movies!) so Lunar Wyvern riders only need 5. Orlanthi, being freedom-lovin' good ol' boys, (obviously American) also only need 5. Perhaps Carmanian flyers need 8...

RR
- Richelieu