RE: Tatius

From: donald_at_...
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 12:36:11 GMT

In message <000401c4af5f$ae9a7ad0$0302a8c0_at_master> "Jane Williams" writes:

>> Unless Jorkandros delayed sending a message, it's about as long as it
>> takes a Moonboat to reach Glamour.
>
>I'm sure *someone* would send a message! Intelligence agents? Surely not
>:)

Tatius's agents if no one else.

>> For him to actually arrive at WW would then depend on how long
>> it took him to get his personal troops and anything else he needed
>> down there. I don't think he actually arrived at WW before 1620.
>
>Good point! So we'd have a period when Jokandros knew he was going to be
>replaced (And so did all his subordinates), but the replacement hadn't
>yet arrived. Poor sod :( And we thought the Orlanthi had leadership
>issues in this period!

It's not actually as bad as all that for Jorkandros, apart from the polemarch of the phalanx there's no one of any real status present to challenge his authority. It does explain why the Lunars do nothing to take advantage of the Orlanthi squabbles - they're just sitting there waiting for Tatius. Jorkandros's problems are basically he has too few troops left to defend his supply lines and barely enough to block the main road up to WW. If the Orlanthi weren't squabbling among themselves they could probably cut him off entirely, force him to fight at a disadvantage with an army already dispirited by defeat and lots of desertions.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/