Supplies, magical paths

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 23:51:24 +0100

> I have not really touched on this yet in any great detail as the
> players seem happy to ignore it, so in the spirit of Hollywood cinema
> theres plenty of mead, clearwinfe and roast chicken legs and whole
> roasted pigs at the feasts.

You've only just Blatted the Bat, right? For that period, I think we agree that supply problems haven't started to kick in.

> in our group we have a Desemborth hunter who fully augmented up has a
> stealth afinity abilty running at around 17M, which allows him to
> pass fairly unseen. I'm sure there are others.

I'm in the process of producing an NPC/story character who's a LOT better than that. But give either of them a cart full of suplies and I think they'd take some heavy negative modifiers :(

> There is also the secret magical Vinga path from Tarthcaer and WW
> which is one way if you have that in your game.

If that's heading towards GaG, I'd better get it (and its limitations) documented. As I understand it, there is NO WAY that could be used for supplies. The one time Rob's game used it, it took a major effort by a Disciple of Vinga Mastakos to move half a dozen or so people from Tarthcaer to WW. Towards the end of the siege, Kallyr's using it to commute between the two (holing up in Tarthcaer rather than the Ice Palace with the rest of them). But that's about it.

Guys, what limits do I need to put on this as a minimum to prevent it being misused and wrecking plots? To what extent do we want it to be a factor?

Reminder: the temple of Tarthcaer is mainly Vingans only, and adult males *cannot* enter. Women and children can, since Vinga's very much into protecting them. The route to it is through mists, from almost any random point in the Quivin hills, its mundane location is unknown and may not exist. Exit is also via the mists, and unless you're *very* good the mundane place you find yourself is pretty random. The phrase "short world" has been used in this context, though since I'm not too sure what that means I don't know if it applies.

Vingans (esp Pathfinders) can get in relatively easily, a woman in need of help can probably find it, anyone else will probably never even find the mists, and won't get in if they do. What Rob did (and it was rather clever, and I intend to borrow it) was have a resident Disciple of Vinga Mastakos use the defences as a transport mechanism. A mixed gender group, such as his PCs, entering the mists, would normally find themselves back outside again at some random point. She somehow managed to make the "landing" point less random and further away than normal: WW.

I don't see this as being the "normal" magical path between the two. This was Rob wanting a "men can go too" cheat.