RE: Re: Wiki-Wiki front page, tech stuff

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 12:12:46 +0000 (GMT)

> > Is it time we looked at a more secure server?
>
> It won't hurt to produce a static backup online, but
> I wonder how many
> people we would deter if we introduced passwords.

Lokarnos has passwords. *This* group has passwords. How many people are being deterred?

> I tried to go with a "disciplined" wiki for Karse,
> and it seems to have deterred potential
participants.

Sure? Or are there just less people interested?

> As the owner of that wiki:
> Seedwiki.com has only limited space for free - 50
> pages only. Karse
> already is at 35 pages with only two active
> participants...
>
> Getting more space (and a better domain name) is
> relatively cheap but still needs to be paid for.

Define "relatively cheap", and I suspect several of us might chip in.

> I've been looking into wiki engines lately, and I'd
> like to try out the
> engine behind wikipedia. That's a long-term project
> requiring some online-server, though.

What are the requirements for the server? As you know, I have space, and can set up FTP access (hmm, must check that again since the upgrade...). I'm on a Windows server, does this Wiki thing cope with that, or does it need something weird?

Jane Williams