Re: Re: RFC: should we move to the new wiki?

From: donald_at_...
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 15:58:30 GMT

In message <cpmhcp+2mq0_at_...> "Charles Corrigan" writes:

>> But we can edit the new Wiki, can't
>> we, Charles? We just don't want to
>> ever write its URL in clear as that
>> would tell spammers where to look.
>
>That will help - but eventually it will leak out. I suspect that
>Google and the like have mechanisms to find "hidden" but unprotected
>resources. Generally this is a "good" thing.

There's also a way of telling search engines not to index particular files. AIUI all the main search engines follow it. It's something to do with a file called robots.txt , I'll have a look and see if I can find out what it has to contain.

Is it practical to have two copies operating? An editable one in a password protected area of the server and a read only one available for public access with the readonly copy being updated on a regular basis.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/