Re: Firewood?

From: drfegg_at_...
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 06:00:32 EST

Hello All,
Thought everything ground to a halt!
IMO if the Orlanthi had the presence of mind to stock pile food in the cisterns, ("centuries old grain" as someone pointed out) why not combustibles? A huge silo dedicated to charcoal? Huge advantages over other fuels (high heat, efficient and pretty much smokeless).

If you want to get technical limestone, when heated loses water molecules and forms quicklime. This could be used to make cement, ground into a fine powder and blown (by Tempests/Sylphs?) into anyones eyes storming (no pun intended) the walls causing blindness. Quicklime mixed with water forms an exothermic reaction which produces huge amounts of heat, enough to burn people badly. This would/could be discovered by accident in the home washing down the hearth.
Steve
ps can't seem to access the new site? probably my fault I'm a total Luddite!