Licensing news from Tentacles

From: Charles Corrigan <charles_at_...>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 04:14:31 -0000

While at Tentacles, I met with Greg to discuss licensing the Wiki. I did not discuss all of the issues as I promised him it would only take 2 minutes.

The major topic was how Wikis, that have potentially anonymous material, can fit into the new scheme. His response was that as long as I, as the hoster, accepted responsibility than that was OK. In particular, I accept responsibility for concept use. This means that, if any of our material is re-used by Issaries (or their licensees) then the originator of that material can sue me but not Issaries.

Our group was founded on the basis that our material was designed to be reused, so that I believe this is not an issue. And generally, Issaries and the wider community are good about attribution.

I propose to modify the front page of the Wiki to make a statement that all of our material is free for re-use. Points for discussion: 1 - should I state that while it is free for re-use, we would greatly prefer attribution?
2 - do we want it to be free for re-use outside Glorantha?

If anyone disagrees with the fundamental concept of free re-use then please let us all know immediately. If we cannot come to agreement then the material involved must be removed. If the material is too large to do that, then I shall have to take the site down.

I did not discuss the issues of quotations or maps, that can wait.

Now this was a personal conversation, not a lawyers conversation, so I am sure that there are many subtlies that were missed but those were the issues that worried Greg and myself.

regards,
Charles