Feats, falling

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 08:25:14 +0100

> Because the damage from falling remains steady, while the Hit Points a
> character can take increases with his experience level. So as you gain
> levels, you fear damage less and less. "Dramatic tension" is
> achieved by
> introducing higher and higher level monsters (with higher and
> higher levels
> of damage). It's sort of like the "No self-respecting hero"
> rule, but is a side-effect, rather than a design feature.

As if HQ characters expected to get their Movement affinity up to W7 or so after a bit of play, and could then jump off the odd W4 cliff without worrying about it?

> > > Tatouth the Scout has "Fall Softly" and "Rock
> > > Jumping", so all the Orlanthi
> > > (including your vingans) should be able to improvise
> > > those off their Movement affinity.
> >
> > I hate to get all rulesy - but can they? Devotees,
> > sure. Initiates?

> Yes, they can (while initiates can't use feats per se, they
> also aren't tied
> to a particular set of feats - they have a "Movement"
> affinity, and "Fall softly" is part of Movement).

???

"An initiate can improvise any named feat in the affinity..."

Well, it doesn't actually *say* "from their own cult", but I'd rather taken that for granted. You're getting the power to do this from your deity, after all. Otherwise anyone with a Combat affinity looks round for any feat from any other Combat affinity, and all the cults just merge into one.

> But yes, a -10 penalty is a dis-incentive to
> an initiate jumping off the wall.

That's the point, I think. Heros (in the real sense of the word) can do this in an emergency, your bog-standard PC or guard can't.

> > Jump down safely from a city wall: 5W2 to 10W3
> > Jump down safely from a fortress tower: 5W3 to 10W4
> >
> > Whitewall (walls plus cliffs) is higher than any of these.
> Please don't try a mundane jump?

> Definitely don't. I'd put the resistance at ~10w5 or so.
> "So you gotta ask yourself: 'do I feel lucky'? Well? do ya, punk?" -

Something we need to sort out, BTW. We were saying that sketch, while wonderful, looks wrong. We'd better sort out what's right. Maps (where's the latest, Joerg?), heights, and so on.

Did anyone look at that bunch of fiction-set-around-Gate I posted links to?

http://www.jane-williams.me.uk/glorantha/donald/index.cfm

And did John Hughes ever reply to my query about his free-form use of the Bacharach castle? The idea of the Gate being *above* WW, and WW itself only beng the size of the Castle? It still seems wrong to me - I'd accept the Gatehouse as being the size of the castle, though.