Re: Jumping off Cliffs

From: Roderick Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2005 18:19:38 -0000

> 'tis quite true! Of course, if one's magic is not concentrated,
> using any such feats (or a welter of common magic abilities etc.)
in
> an active manner is prohibited. However, this can be obviated by
> having someone *push* you off the wall.
>
> As is noted in the FAQ, they can be used as a resistance in a
> contest, as appropriate -- and you have not physically initiated
the
> contest.

The only problem is that the "attack" you face is the full value of the wall's height (whether you like 10w3, 10w4, 10w5, or whatever), *NOT* 14. (Jumping off the wall with "appropriate" magic only faces a 14 resistance (unless there is something that make WW's walls "magically important".)

So sure, buy yourself a "Fall Softly" CM feat at 13, and have Olaf push you off the wall, but don't be terribly surprised at the "splat" at the bottom...

> > I mean really, if you have to be a devotee to be a
> > good hero, then your Kings are all lame, because they
> > MUST be an 'initiate of Orlanth and some other god.'

Well, you don't have to be a devotee, but it helps. But *most* heroes will have abilities stolen/bought/found on heroquests, rather than "just" buying up their ability ratings with HP. Harrek didn't buy up his "Rend Tear and Mutilate" ability solely by spending HP, he went and slaughtered a demigod, skinned it, and wears it as a cloak.

Kings will have a kingdom full of people praying for them, plus the abilities granted by their regalia, any personal quests they've gon on, etc.

RR