Re: Re: Jumping off Cliffs

From: Light Castle <light_castle_at_...>
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 11:56:29 -0400

Yikes, this has succeeded in confusing me again.

On Tue, 2005-07-06 at 06:23 +0000, Roderick Robertson wrote:

> If you *leap* off the walls using "Fall Softly" magic, you only face
> a resistance of 14 (that's the "natural world default").

So this is purely a case of who initiates the attack? Because leaping isn't falling, which I think was the point. As a GM, I'd be hard pressed to explain to a player why this was 14, when falling off the wall wasn't. If the point is that magic when it is used appropriately is 14, why it should be less effective in the more appropriate case seems odd.

But then that whole "It's 14 except when it isn't" thing confuses me no end anyway. And wouldn't leaping be an active use of it anyway, which brings us full circle to the idea that you really just shouldn't be trying to use augment only magic to land safely?

LC