RE: Re: Jumping off Cliffs

From: donald_at_...
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 00:29:30 GMT

In message <20050607182850.BPTL26865.aamta09-winn.ispmail.ntl.com_at_homemaster> "Jane Williams" writes:

>As far as I'm concerned the primary plot-purpose of the "Whitewall Storm" is
>to demonstrate in as obvious as manner as possible the Orlanth is here, tied
>to WW, and if he's beaten here, he's dead.
>
>The secondary plot-purpose is to provide a partial explanation of why they
>held out for so long - their magic was stronger than usual. And for
>high-level comments like that, we don't need to know what sort of magic, or
>by how much.
>
>After that, we start looking at what effects it *might* have, and to what
>extent this will upset game balance. The suggestion so far was that it
>improves all "Orlanthi magic" by a factor of 1.5. Not that it grants new
>powers to those who don't already have them. Yes, this is only a suggestion,
>but even that seems to be quite unbalancing enough, potentially.

Let's think about the effect of having Orlanth present - what does that mean to the average Orlanthi?

  1. It's much easier to get Orlanth's attention, so your heroics get noticed and it's more important to redeem your failures.

   So make the mechanics that Orlanthi get double value from HPs spent    on Orlanth based relationships and abilities and penalties for    failure - negative relationships, disabilites etc are also doubled.

2. It's easier to call on Orlanth for help, again both positive and

   negative - 'violence is aways an option' both for external and    internal disputes. Ernaldans are going to be weaker than usual    so there should be a least one feud that gets completely out of    hand threatening the city. Only when the Lunars are breaking    down the main gate do the defenders remember their priorities.

3. Storms, storms and more storms...especially on windsdays, not

   only will the Lunars be fed up but so will most clansfolk. Only    devotees will be happy with the perpetual presence of their god.

4. Others???

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/