Re: Re: Jumping off Cliffs

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 17:39:24 -0700

> Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...> wrote:
> > That is something that has come up in our Far Point
> > campaign. One of the
> > characters is a devotee of Varanorlanth and would
> > rather like to get some
> > feats from Tatouth and a few of the other Orlanth
> > Adventurous Subcults.
> > According to the rules, he can just pay the HP cost
> > and buy the feat,
> > hunky-dory. However, that seems a bit cheap to me.
>
> Yeah, me too. Whatabout learning time, material sourcing, locating
literature, PRACTICE??????

What about having a vision, like Constantine at the Milvian bridge? (okay, so Constantine didn't immediate convert personally to Christianity, but he did (allegedly) make Christianity the only religion of the Empire.)

I can see a "instant conversion" happening, from "Who dat?" to "Devotee". Sure, that's not the way *most* people work, but there are the "throw yourself totally into the idea" type of person. Or the person that is "struck/inspired" by the god(dess) and becomes an instant devotee. Or the person who was born to the position that realizes it in an instant on their 16th birthday. This *is* a fantasy game where gods intrude themselves into people's lives without so much as a 'by your leave'.

> (A LITTLE realism never hurt ,surely..?)

For you, perhaps, but there *are* players that don't care....

(And if I had 24 HP just lying around, going straight to devotee might not be the head of my list of things to do...).

RR
- Richelieu