Re: Re: Jumping off Cliffs

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 23:44:26 -0700

> > We won't ask why a farmer is defending the walls without
> > having joined some sort of fighting cult...
>
> 1) Because he's a patriot. He may be a farmer, but he's come here to
fight.
> He hopes (maybe) that by showing how brave he is, someone will "sponsor"
him
> to join one of the fighting cults.
>
> 2) Because he doesn't really believe that violence is a good idea, at
heart
> he's much more the Ernaldan type. He's fighting because, as he sees it,
> there's no alternative. But to join a fighting cult, you have to believe
in
> what you're doing, and the god knows that he doesn't. He's doing it
because
> he has to, to protect his family - which is a lot more heroic in my book
> too.

Well, I didn't ask, really (see "We won't ask why..."). But, to me, a farmer would be best employed, well, farming. Support the revolution by providing food and comfort to rebels, being a Bread rebel, instead of a Sword rebel (BA 38). He is really, *really* out of his depth, here.

But we can argue motivations for ever and never exhaust the subject.

> > If you want it to give none-windy types
> > wind/flight powers, then say that that's what it does. It would be a
> > Blessing sort of magic (as if the Storm were a big, huge,
> > Guardian/Wyter for the "Whitewall defenders".).
>
> Does it REALLY seem like a good idea to hand Flight powers to everyone in
> Whitewall????

Hey, *I* didn't bring it up, I'm just suggesting a way to do it. (Also not the weasel words "as if", "sort of", etc. ). It doesn't need to use the exact rules for a Wyter Heroband (frex, does everyone need to pay a point to "join" the Great Storm? I probably wouldn't force them to...), I'm just suggesting that instead of being vague about what something does, spell it out a bit more. Or don't spell it out at all and just play it by ear. The rules support it either way. There's a Honkin' Big Storm overhead and I worship Orlanth? Okay, I'll jump off the wall... Depending on the narrator, the result could be "Orlanth supports you as you fall, and you land in the middle of the enmy formation, surprising them." or "Splat".

> One HP to join the hero-band, and you too can have Orlanth as your
wyter...
> Three blessings, all at W5s.... No, PLEASE don't go there!

W5? For Great Orlanth? Hardly. Try W12.

RR
- Richelieu