Re: Re: Jumping off Cliffs

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 00:07:13 -0700

> But, this is hardly the norm, and (IMO) requires some suitably dramatic
> explanation. Drama is good. Having the norm established even if we then
> differ from it is good. And the norm for acquiring a new feat is *not*
"nip
> down the shops and pick up a loaf of bread, a pint of milk, and a Sunset
> Leap."

Well, note that, on page 120, you "have to be elegible to join the cult" to learn it's magic without actually joining the cult. (I note that the word "religion" is used instead of "cult" - this is wrong. You can't learn magic from some other god's subcults). So what is needed to be "elegible"? Page 116 - Entry requirements gives us:
"Must be at least a communal worshipper of the religion" (easy, since you're already an initiate)
"Priests conduct rites to determine suitability" (that's a good place for Relationships to come in). The narrator can make this as complex or as simple as she likes.

If you are looking for some sort of contest, use the basic "Become an Initiate" contest on 117, but change the victory conditions - frex, on a Complete Victory they teach him the feat for free; any other victory, pay a HP and get the feat; Tie or any defeat, get nothing, but lose nothing; Complete Defeat you'll never learn anything from that subcult, ever, don't ever let them catch you even *thinking* about getting their magic, now push off.

RR
- Richelieu