RE: Re: Jumping off Cliffs

From: donald_at_...
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 13:16:28 GMT

In message <20050608062910.ESVH15401.aamta12-winn.ispmail.ntl.com_at_homemaster> "Jane Williams" writes:

>> I can see a "instant conversion" happening, from "Who dat?" to "Devotee".
>> Sure, that's not the way *most* people work, but there are the "throw
>> yourself totally into the idea" type of person. Or the person that is
>> "struck/inspired" by the god(dess) and becomes an instant
>> devotee.
>
>I do have a (non-Gloranthan) PC who has this in her back-story. There she
>was robbing a temple, got caught by the magical defences, and the resulting
>multi-plane personal lightning bolt converted her rather than killing her.
>She and a lot of other people are very worried about *why* (and I still have
>no idea myself).
>
>But, this is hardly the norm, and (IMO) requires some suitably dramatic
>explanation. Drama is good. Having the norm established even if we then
>differ from it is good. And the norm for acquiring a new feat is *not* "nip
>down the shops and pick up a loaf of bread, a pint of milk, and a Sunset
>Leap."

Isn't this the point, when a player wants to produce a dramatic conversion the narrator insists that they provide a good dramatic story to justify it. If not they have to take their time with each stage because the current cult membership isn't going to drop everything because the PC wants something.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/