Hero Cults was RE: Re: Jumping off Cliffs

From: Tony Davis <gallows_brother_at_...>
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 07:44:24 -0700 (PDT)

I can see where this is important. The HeroQuest rules, however, make it seem like Gloranthan magic is, indeed, a game of 'well, what capabilities do i need?'  That the gods are worshiped, not because they are super-worthy, but because 'that's what people do to have the magic they need to survive.'

Perhaps that's a flaw in the HQ book, but that's sort of where I was coming from. I mean, gamewise, isn't the 'time requirement' supposed to be the abstract of all of that stuff you are talking about?

if i join a hero cult for a Flight Affinity, that's an extra 10% time and XP committment to a cult that only has one thing i need. my Flight Affinity gets high, and so does my Rash skill/flaw or my Loves Birds or something like that... the cost is there. if it becomes too much of a pain in the butt to buy skills/feats/affinities, you might as well not give out HP at all and only give out 'rewards.' Not a bad way to play, but certainly not in the scope of the HQ rules.

t.