Re: Kathy

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 11:37:14 -0700

> Right. Having been told that "Owain" is "not a Heortling name" (???) would

Well, we don't want the *Welsh*, fer crying out loud! :-)

> someone who understands these things like to tell me where "Kathy" is
from?
> And do we place her on the Orlanthi or Lunar side?

From http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/ThomaGene/GivenNames.html:

KATHERINE (f) From the Greek name Aikaterina. It has been linked with Greek aikia "torture" but that theory is unlikely. It is possibly a Coptic name meaning "my consecration of your name". The Romans derived it from Greek katharos "pure" and changed their spelling from Katerina to Katharina to reflect this. The name belonged to a Christian saint and martyr who was tortured on the famous Catherine wheel. This was the name of two empresses of Russia, including Catherine the Great. The name was also borne by three of Henry VIII's wives. KATARINA (f) Form of KATHERINE KATE (f) Short form of KATHERINE or KATHLEEN. This is the name of the woman who Petruchio marries and tries to tame in Shakespeare's comedy 'The Taming of the Shrew'. KATHRYN (f) Form of KATHERINE KATHY (f) Short form of KATHERINE KATIE (f) Form of KATE. KATINA (f) Form of KATARINA KATRINA (f) Scottish and Dutch form of KATHERINE CATARINA (f) Form of CATHERINE CATHERINE (f) Variant of KATHERINE CATHY (f) Short form of CATHERINE CATRIN (f) Welsh form of KATHERINE CATRINA (f) Form of CATHERINE. Meaning: pure and virginal

 RR
- Richelieu