RE: Re: Kathy

From: Scott Rogers <amaretto_sirloin_at_...>
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2005 03:14:52 -0700 (PDT)

Does it matter if a name has modern connotations? Brian is still a modern name (although it was later re-spelled for a more "Bronze age "feel) and he's one of the main players!!! If you think about it, anything from the real world now, didn't exist in Glorantha, and so is mysterious, supernatural and fantastic. So the name "Vauxhall Nova" is a perfectly suitable handle for a weaponthane, "Babyliss" a great name for an Ernalda worshipper, " Snickers" for a theif or even plain old Gary the baker! Here are a selection of our old PC names: Mombasa Cava: Pentan Huntress
Carcass McPhee: Scottish Drunk Humakti Vet Ay-Mi-Feelinnit:(say it like Ali-G!) A very screwed up and twisted elf. Five Star: A wind child
Turd Gripp: A Lunar Coder
Van Hellstump: A vampire hunting silver dwarf. To name but a few!( Even my yahoo ID is an ex-pc of mine!

Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...> wrote:
> > For "stupid", read "carrying inappropriately modern associations",
> perhaps?
> > Yes, I know, it's longer :(
>
> You are being overly polite.

Maybe, but I was also trying to analyse *why* it was "stupid". And it is, but in a different way from, say "Uurgh" as a name. Or indeed, "Pinkie Petunia", or my own "Trixie the Triceratops".

I think we more or less agree that "Kathy", while not a "stupid" name in itself, also carries too many modern associations.

Maybe we figure out where in Glorantha she's from before we alter her name to fit that model?

'Weni, Widi, Wiki.' I came, I saw, I added to the story.

The WhiteWallWiki can be found at: http://www.whitewall.info