Re: Inappropriate names

From: Simon Phipp <soltakss_at_...>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 10:25:33 +0100 (BST)

Jane Williams:

> > If you think about it, anything from the real world
> > now, didn't exist in Glorantha, and so is
> > mysterious, supernatural and fantastic. So the name
> > "Vauxhall Nova" is a perfectly suitable handle for a
> > weaponthane, ...
>
> Only if your players have the self-control to ignore
> the associations that the name has for them. For a lot
> of us, that sort of thing ruins the atmosphere.

I had a long-term centaur character called Shergar. It never interfered with the game, quite possibly because his nickname was Donkey and that was used most of the time. However, towards the end of the campaign, if Shergar ever came up in the news, I had a momentary period of confusion as I wondered why they were talking about my centaur character.

Glorantha is full of inappropriate names - just look at the names in Dragon Pass/Prax for a start - and long may it continue.

Simon