Re: Talking Torcs (and swords and runes)

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_...>
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 09:40:18 +1000

JW:

| So it's all my fault :(

Well, if I'd said "this one is for Jane' I may have come across as patronising. Your comments were especially helpful though, as always. And as most here know, we have a special list for gratuitous patronising, insults and meltdowns. :)

| You won't like Dave. He looked and said "it's very 1920s".
| I think that may be the Poser Lycra effect, though.

Yeah. Leather leggings aren't that strong in the archaeological record. And polygonic virtual figures never chaff.

| Any particular subcults?

Open to suggestion. A vanilla Adventurous clansman propably, and a Helemakt hero. I don't yet have a strong visual conception of a Heortlander, though that would be a third.

| BTW, there's a re-enactment supplier somewhere who does a reproduction
| Sutton Hoo Helmet. Battle-ready, he says. A few hundred quid, of course,
| but... I've tried it on, but it's far too nice to fight in, so I put it
back
| down again (Dave is soooo cruel! - then again he did buy me a second
| harp....)

You are also cruel. I have just just moved Millenium Season One DVD from the top of my covert/wish list. SH reproduction.... droool.... When's Chrissie? When's a *rich* Chrissie?

| And I just spotted your other obsession - torcs. I'd somehow got the idea
| that they're a sign of being a chief. Or something. But they, too, seem to
| be being mass-produced and issued to every Vingan in WW.

Among the kennings for a chieftain is ring-giver, torc-giver, gold-giver. Yes a chieftain is a torc-wearer, but IMG one of the duties of a chieftain/band leader is to share the wealth around/reward heroic conduct with generous giftings. A torc is either a sign of wealth, rank and herds, OR a token rewarded for conspicuous gallantry, sort of like a mititary medal. Historically, among the Saxon warbands/petty kingdoms there was a whole economy of plunder and gifting, something I explored in the 'heroes in hall' presentation at last years' tentacles.

So as part of the Heortlings visual and social vocabulary, I see the following:

If you wear a sword, you better have the skills and bragging stories to back it up. Calf boys don't just get to wear swords, even if they've plundered one. You have to be regarded as having earned one.

If you wear a torc, you're either a noble or merchant or warrior thane or have been awarded one for heroism. Other clothing will reveal the context. In all contexts, its a sign of patronage and scuttage based around the patron/client dynamic. If you are in the later category, then you must be prepared to share the story of how you earned it, and also exhibit a certain loyalty to the one who awarded it to you. You don't just wear a torc you've plundered. It has a story and a relationship attached.

If you openly wear a major rune, especially a minority or disturbing rune - WOOOOO! Its like a slap in the face to everyone who sees its, a real fear/respect/warning factor. You better have the power to back it up. Stickpickers don't wear death runes. Well if they do, they become self-fulfilling prophecies. Live stockpickers don't wear death runes.

I'd be interested in other folks thoughts on this.

And yes, all the torc-wearers in my renders are heros. Natch. :)