Re: Talking Torcs (and swords and runes)

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_...>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 23:59:00 -0000

John says:

> If you wear a torc, you're either a noble or merchant or warrior
thane or
> have been awarded one for heroism. Other clothing will reveal the
context.
> In all contexts, its a sign of patronage and scuttage based around
the
> patron/client dynamic. If you are in the later category, then you
must be
> prepared to share the story of how you earned it, and also exhibit
a certain
> loyalty to the one who awarded it to you. You don't just wear a
torc you've
> plundered. It has a story and a relationship attached.

I agree with John. Here's something I sent my players a little while back:

Gang -

I've been pondering the symbols of authority used by the Heortlings. The most common are the crown (for kings) and the torc (for kings, chiefs, priests and thanes).

For example the Colymar kings wear a golden diadem called the Crown of Kings and carry a golden torc called the Ring of Command (a great golden torc made from seven strands of gold wire twisted together with beautifully decorated round-ended terminals).

The torc (often called the ring of authority) is a symbol of power. It is worn by kings, chiefs, priests and thanes. They come in many designs, metals, and styles. In general, gold is more valued than silver or bronze, simply because gold is a more precious metal than silver or bronze. Usually, only kings, chiefs, great warleaders and the most powerful of priests have gold torcs (many chiefs have silver torcs).

Thinking this through, I think the Orlmarthing clan gave Korlmhy a silver torc as part of the priestly regalia. I think that Gordangar gave Brenna a bronze torc (the champion and warleader traditionally is given a silver torc by the chief). Queen Leika gave Herger a silver torc. I'm uncertain whether Kaylin is a priestess or a godtalker.   If she is an official priestess of Harevernalda, I'm sure she was given a big fancy silver necklace to show her importance and authority.

Does that help anyone?

Jeff