Re: Factions at Whitewall

From: donald_at_...
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 19:22:29 GMT

In message <dbgb87+hs4o_at_...> "Charles Corrigan" writes:

>Here are my initial thoughts on the organisational structure at
>Whitewall. This needs a lot more effort and has already raised some
>substantial questions in my mind.

A useful summary.

>Some people will have multiple links to Broyan and/or Whitewall - for
>example, it is possible that Leika has a direct relationship with
>Broyan and an indirect relationship through Kallyr.

Isn't this a wider question of how all the various clans of Sartar relate to King Broyan? I'm thinking particularly of the clans who respond to Kallyr sending out the Blue Arrow. Broyan is their host but their chosen leader is Kallyr who isn't even there all the time.

Which leads on to how the command structure is "organised". The various Volsaxi rings aren't really relevant here - to start with not every member will be in WW and there are too many outsiders to exclude them from decision making. I suggest some form of ring has been created for this situation. Basing it on the "Hill Ring" in BA we get -

Vingkot the King          - Broyan
Vinga the Champion        - Kallyr or her nominee
Starkval the War Leader   - a Volsaxi weaponthane
Durev the Provider        - a Volsaxi carl
Orstan the Maker          - a Volsaxi craftsman
Hantrafal the Godi        - ?Minaryth Purple?
Ernalda the Wife & Mother - ?Scathach?

Even this is heavily slanted towards the Volsaxi but that's because a lot of the positions are leaders of those who are supporting the garrison which is effectively going to be the Volsaxi tribe.

My guess is there's a lot of feuding and politicing about that Vinga the Champion position. Kallyr is also going to have to spend a lot of time listening to all the Sartarite clan leaders to enable her to represent them properly.

>(*3) How does Broyan put off the accusations of adultery? Could Broyan
>have found a ritual, in the role of Vingkot, to qualify Scathach as
>his Winter Wife and Meloise as his Summer Wife? Alternatively, could
>Scathach be a recently ex-Year Wife that has decided to stick around
>to stick it to the Lunars (or to ensure that Broyan eventually sticks
>to the Esrolians or some other interesting plot?

As the siege lasts more than two years, Scathach isn't likely to be year wife for the whole of that time. Given what's currently on the Wiki I would think he married Scathach early in 1619 and Meloise arrives sometime in 1620. Scathach stays on because she feels the people of WW need her. She probably leaves when it's clear the city will fall in 1621.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/