Re: Factions at Whitewall

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_...>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 00:01:46 -0000

> Here are my initial thoughts on the organisational structure at
> Whitewall. This needs a lot more effort and has already raised
some
> substantial questions in my mind.

As has been mentioned Greg and I have done some pondering about Broyan, the Volsaxi and the Hendreiki - and we will be doing quite a bit more soon. A few comments based on my discussions with Greg and how this is shaping up:

> Broyan
> - High King of the Hendreiki (Heortland) (*1)
> - High King King of the Volsaxar Confederation (*1)
> - King of the Volsaxi Tribe (*1)
> - ?Chief of the Darvolsaxi Clan? (*2)

There probably is no such clan.

> - Patron to Kallyr
> - Leader of Personal Household
> - Husband of Scathach (*3)

We're uncertain about his marital status, this may change a lot.

> - Boyfriend of Meloise De la Court (*3)

See above.

> - Host to Beneva Chan (*4)
> - Host to Leika (*4)

OK, when thinking about Broyan, keep in mind that he is a hero of Orlanthi leadership. He knows secrets of Vingkot that has been lost since the Second Age, maybe since the Dawn. He wields the Sword and Helm and sports the markings of the Kodigvari. He's pretty much the only leader at Whitewall whose authority is not questioned (just image the sort of bonus the Sword and Helm gives to leadership contests...).

Everyone at Whitewall is going to be under Broyan's hospitality with all the obligations and duties that entails - imagine Broyan as High King of the Storm Tribe. The myraid bands, rings, captains and warleaders present at Whitewall acknowledge Broyan as King of Whitewall - however, that may be the only positive connection some groups have with each other.

> Notes and Questions
> (*1) I suspect that there is a lot of overlap between
> a. the Hendreiki Ring and the Volsaxar Ring

Possibly not much overlap other than Broyan.

> b. the Volsaxar Ring and the Volsaxi Ring

That's probably right - the Volsaxar Ring might just be an expanded version of the Volsaxi Ring.

> (*2) I assume that Broyan is king under Vingkotling rituals rather
> than Heortling rituals and so must be a member of the ruling
> bloodline.

No. Broyan is a Heortling king - there is no ruling Volsaxi or Hendreiki bloodline.

>However, we now know that he quested for the Sword of
> Vingkot, the Helm of Vingkot and has the tattoos of the Kodigvari
clan
> (Kodig was Vingkot's son and heir) - so he has proven his
relationship
> to Vingkot without necessarily ever being a member of the
Darvolsaxi.

There isn't a Darvolsaxi clan. However, Broyan has proven his relationship to Vingkot without being a member of any established ruling bloodline.

> (*3) How does Broyan put off the accusations of adultery? Could
Broyan
> have found a ritual, in the role of Vingkot, to qualify Scathach
as
> his Winter Wife and Meloise as his Summer Wife? Alternatively,
could
> Scathach be a recently ex-Year Wife that has decided to stick
around
> to stick it to the Lunars (or to ensure that Broyan eventually
sticks
> to the Esrolians or some other interesting plot?

At this point, I'm not sure about Broyan's marital status. What comes out of whatever Greg and I are working on may change this wildly - or it may not address the question at all.

Jeff