Raids, tactics of

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 08:29:24 +0100

I'm trying to work out what's good tactics and what isn't, and running into a few problems. Assumptions build on assumptions, and if the basics are wrong...

Can we assume to start with that as a basic difference, the Orlanthi rely on being faster than the Lunars? Just straight Movement affinities, even before you have things like tree-top running Vingans, flyers, and so on?

Can we also assume that as a general rule, the Lunars have greater numbers?

And how about communications? Do either side have a means of subcommanders reporting back to base that's faster than sending a messenger? If so, how common is it?

How does each side know where enemy forces are in the field? Purely by scouts, or what? "Detect enemy" type magic? Can Lunar sorcery be used to set up a long range "detect Vingan" gadget, for instance? Plenty of people seem to have "detect ambush" abilities, but what's the range like?

So, if a fast-moving Orlanthi warband hits its target, but someone gets away, what are the odds that their position and numbers will be being reported back to some Lunar commander who can move in to intercept, with enough troops to do serious damage? Pharon, at a guess, since this seems to be what he's for?