RE: Raids, tactics of - Pharon

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 08:38:27 +0100

Me:
> >So, if a fast-moving Orlanthi warband hits its target, but someone
> >gets away, what are the odds that their position and numbers will
> >be being reported back to some Lunar commander who can move in to
> >intercept, with enough troops to do serious damage? Pharon, at a
> >guess, since this seems to be what he's for?

Donald:
> I created Pharon to do precisely this sort of counter-insurgency
> stuff but he doesn't rely on someone getting away quickly enough
> to get him information about an attack. His ability allows him
> to predict attacks so he gets troops present to counter the attack.

Yes, but what ability? This is what I'm trying to sort out - is he just using agents inside WW to find out what's happening (which any Lunar could do), or does he have something special?

> Remember it's less about responding to attack as they happen,
> but knowing in advance where attacks are likely and intercepting.

But how? As I say, if it's just information, he's no different from any other Lunar.

> Pharon also attacks suspected hideouts and the supply routes
> to WW so the Orlanthi have to defend those.

Well, of course. Again, how does this make him different from the rest?

I hope this isn't working on a theory that all Lunars other than Pharon are idiots?

> Prior to Tatius bringing him in the Orlanthi had pretty much a
> free reign in the hills - they could outrun troops who could
> beat them and outfight the troops who could catch them.

> As a group his hillmen are faster than the average Orlanthi
> warband (which is only as fast as it's slowest member)

Which makes me wonder about something else. Once he's around, and known as a threat for just this sort of reason, do you perhaps decide to leave that slowest member behind? If the result of staying together is that you *all* get killed....? Partly the sort of heroic last-stand thing you get in stories, where the one with the leg injury volunteers to stay behind to guard the rear with a bow or something. Partly just straight hard-headed risk assessment on the part of the leader at the time. Lose one, or lose the lot.