Re: Re: New character - Garstel

From: donald_at_...
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 19:03:44 GMT

In message <dcnvj7+eri1_at_...> "Charles Corrigan" writes:

>> The high values reflect him being fyrd leader for at least
>> a decade and a weaponthane for several years before that.
>> I'd put him in his mid-40s.
>
>Great stuff (again!)
>
>One nit pick - is he the leader of the fyrd of a clan or the
>leader of the warband of a tribe (never mind the over tribe?
>While there are many similarities, there are, in my opinion,
>several differences.

He's at tribal level, but the leader of the fyrd not the warband. Basically he's been put in charge of all the Volsaxi fyrdmen who are at WW who from the figures we've got are about half the garrison. Now it may not be common for several clan fyrds to operate together but the WW garrison won't be from a single clan.

I've taken it that pretty much all the senior positions in the overtribe are also those from the tribe given that the other tribes are small and reluctant members.

>- The posture of a warband is more professional and aggressive
>than a fyrd - The skill levels at the tribal or kingdom level
>can easily be in the 10W2-10W3 range. For Broyan's people, I
>would expect it to be at the higher end of the range.

I agree there are lots of differences between warbands and fyrd which I've tried to reflect in his character. I'm a bit unsure of skill levels and was trying to put him at roughly the same level as published characters but I could easily have got that wrong. At the same time he's not a top notch warrior and with the fyrd behind him can augment up pretty high.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/